Copenacre Quarry was purchased by the MoWB
in 1940 and, following an urgent request for underground storage
in 1941, made available to the Navy.
The estimated cost to convert
the quarry was £192,500, but the Navy demanded the best of
everything and within weeks costs had exceeded the agreed budget.
In 1972 it was announced
that Copenacre was to close, but with a staff of 1,700 this raised
concerns. Following a Public Enquiry the depot was retained indefinitely.
However, Copenacre closed
in 1995 and was sold off in 1997.
Click on the button above
to see Copenacre.
Naval Storage Depot
the casual observer today the most obvious feature of the
mysterious and secret underground world of Corsham is the
Copenacre Royal Naval Storage Depot, an incongruous group
of sinister, squat, wartime bunkers and modern offices crouching
beside the main A4 trunk about a mile outside the town.'